Sunday, June 1, 2008

Good Weeding Weekend

The elements combined to make this weekend nearly perfect for heavy-duty, two-fisted weeding. Yesterday was cloudy in the morning, letting me get in two hours of work before thunder showers moved in around noon. In the late afternoon, the sun came out and began to dry the grass while I put in another two hours. Today it's sunny, but it's clearly not summer yet. Just when the sun starts to be too hot on my back, a high cloud passes in front of it or a breeze rises up. The soil, meanwhile, is still soft from yesterday's rain.

I've started at the eastern end of the back rose bed and have worked westward, mulching at the end of each day's work. I alternate between kneeling and sitting cross-legged, depending on how my back and legs feel. The Cobra Head, which I scoffed at when Kay brought it home from a flower show, is now my preferred weeding tool. It has the perfect angle and shape for loosening the dirt, it's long enough to give you a foot of extra reach into the interior of beds, and flipped on its side, it combs through loosened dirt and uncovers missed weeds better than my hands can do.

No comments: